NDM Summer Studentship Programme
NDM's Summer Studentship Programme for Summer 2021 has been cancelled due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Further details about the Summer Studentship Scheme for 2022 will follow in due course.
The Nuffield Department of Medicine offers opportunities for summer studentships to undergraduate and Masters Students from some of our key collaborating countries. You will get the opportunity to work in a laboratory environment with an Oxford University Principal Investigator (PI) and their team in the Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine for a period of approximately eight weeks. You will also get the opportunity to live in Oxford – one of the most beautiful and historic cities in the UK.
Some previous students on this scheme have gone on to successfully apply for fully-funded places on our DPhil (PhD) in Clinical Medicine programme with an NDM Prize Studentship.
Take a look at some of our previous students’ profiles to learn about their experiences.
Photography by Jaani Riordan, submitted to the Graduate Photography Competition 2010
We encourage you to read through the research area links listed below:
- Immunology & infectious disease
- Cancer biology
- Physiology, cellular & molecular biology
- Genetics & genomics
- Protein science & structural biology
- Tropical medicine & global health
Funding to the value of £3000 will be provided to cover accommodation and living costs throughout the two-month placement in an NDM research laboratory.
*You will need to cover your own travel expenses, and medical insurance costs.
Award payments will be made after your arrival in the UK. Basic accommodation will be arranged at an Oxford college on your behalf, and the fees for this will be deducted from your award.
- Africa: up to five studentships are available (supported by the AfOx initiative) to applicants who have been legally resident in an African country for at least one year out of the last five years. These studentships will cover travel, accommodation and living costs while in Oxford.
- China: up to three students from China.
- Japan: up to three students from Japanese universities.
- Rest of the world: up to 5 students
Please note that the number of awards available is restricted and that this is therefore a competitive application process. Fulfilling the criteria listed above does not guarantee you an award.
- You should be considering applying to undertake doctoral-level research within one of NDM’s research themes
- You should be about to enter the final year of your undergraduate science degree or your final year of a Master's degree in the biological or medical sciences
- You should have an excellent academic record
- You should be fluent in English
- You must be available to come to Oxford for approximately 8 weeks during the summer, preferably for July & August (please indicate the period when you would be available when you apply)