Business Development Director, Global Health
Research Triangle Institute (RTI) has over 30 years’ experience assisting governments, communities, and the private sector. As a not-for-profit, independent research institute based in North Carolina, USA, RTI has roughly 5,000 employees with global experience implementing international development projects. The Global Health Division (GHD) currently has a staff of over 400 and works in over 25 countries. GHD implements broad-based programs in health systems strengthening, infectious diseases, neglected tropical diseases, and non-communicable diseases.
The GHD is seeking a Business Development Director to lead business development and marketing support for the division, including gathering business intelligence; partnering with technical leads to develop and further client relationships, identifying and developing opportunities, partners and contacts; directly contributing to scoping, capture, and proposal development; and strategic networking and relationship building. The candidate will ensure quality assurance to all business development opportunities pursued by the division, ensuring appropriate resourcing, effective capture, and proposal quality. The successful candidate will be a dynamic business development leader with proven success leading, networking, and implementing key business development priorities.
This role will report to the Vice President, Global Health. The position will be based in either Washington D.C. or Research Triangle Park, NC. Remote teleworking will be considered within the U.S. only.
- Lead business development strategies and tactical activities for International Development Group (IDG)’s Global Health Division (GHD) in collaboration with the Technical Portfolio Leads. This may include identifying, researching, and analyzing new opportunities and leading and supporting business capture.
- Manage, lead, and write proposals for work funded by USAID and other key donors and clients.
- Lead intra-group and cross company collaboration and coordination eﬀorts related to business development and strategic planning.
- Lead the identiﬁcation and qualiﬁcation of prospective teaming and strategic industry partners as needed
- Explore business opportunities in key GHD markets to include countries with an existing RTI presence or new countries. Advise on the selection of new capture markets over time.
- Responsible for identifying, understanding, and developing potential clients to include host government and private sector; identifying and qualifying key partner organizations and possible staﬀ; and evaluating competitor activities. Responsible for keeping potential clients and key contacts ‘warm’.
- Represent GHD to donors, private sector companies, foundations, and professional and voluntary associations, identifying synergies and developing partnerships and alliances as appropriate. Presents and speaks eﬀectively on IDG’s and RTI’s broader institutional capabilities.
- Lead the development and support of customer relationships in coordination with IDG, GHD, and portfolio leadership either directly or through the existing Business Development infrastructure (Agency/Domain Teams, Capture eﬀorts).
- Participate in analysis and assist with the maintenance of the aggregated GHD pipeline in relation to strategic initiatives, client and GHD revenue objectives.
- Identify and develop public-private partnerships (PPPs) and cost-share alliances with private sector, foundation, and non-governmental partners.
- Communicate business development intelligence gathered to IDG technical divisions and ﬁeld staﬀ in a timely and open manner.
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, business administration, international development, education, or related field with 18 years of relevant experience; Master’s Degree in marketing, business administration, international development, education or related field with 14 years of relevant experience; or PhD in marketing, business administration, international development or related field with 10 years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience and success leading and/or writing proposals for USAID in the global health sector.
- Demonstrated management and leadership experience.
- Knowledge of international USG and international development contracting business.
- Ability to travel internationally as needed.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive professional networks in the international development community with multiple clients, partners/competitors.
- Extensive experience building successful relationships with donors, partners, and stakeholders in the international development community.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to ability to identify and understand issues, root causes and opportunities from disparate sets of information and provide clear conclusions and guidance.
- Proven ability to communicate significant issues and insights to leadership confidently and professionally.
- Demonstrated learning agility and ability to navigate the inter-dependencies of RTI colleagues and processes
- Ability to be relied upon to exercise consistent sound judgment on decisions that will have long-term effect on the Institute’s success.
- Excellent leadership skills, including the ability to create a highly effective/efficient and successful team working atmosphere.
- Strong planning, organization, critical and strategic thinking and problem solving skills. Willingness to engage and debate on critical issues.
- Experience developing public-private partnerships in international development
- Long-term international field experience in developing countries
- Experience with funders such as the UK’s FCDO, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, etc.
- Excellent analytical, oral and written communications, presentation, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment and at all levels of the organization.
- The ability to work under tight deadlines and to prioritize/manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstration of the RTI Values and Lead Forward behaviors by all employees is critical to the Institute’s success. Behaviors associated with our Values and Lead Forward can been found on RTI Insider and Careers page.
EEO & Pay Equity Statements
As a global employer of choice, RTI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging in the workplace and the communities and markets where we serve our mission. We value diversity of thought, culture, background and perspective and welcome applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, creed, citizenship status, disability, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws or RTI policy. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is available here. RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Clients rely on us to answer questions that demand an objective and multidisciplinary approach and one that integrates expertise across the social and laboratory sciences, engineering, and international development. We believe in the promise of science, and we are inspired every day to deliver on that promise for the good of people, communities, and businesses around the world. For more information, visit www.rti.org. For USA Job Postings Only: RTI participates in the US Government E-Verify program. Further information regarding the E-Verify program and laws that are designed to protect you against discrimination relating to your legal right to work in the US can be found here. For San Francisco, CA USA Job Postings Only: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Further information is available here.
The anticipated pay range for this role is listed below. Our pay ranges represent national averages and may vary by location as a geographic differential may be applied to some locations within the United States.
RTI considers multiple factors when making an offer including, for example: established salary range, internal budget, business needs, and education and years of work experience possessed by the applicant. Further, salary is merely one element to our offer.
At RTI, we demonstrate our commitment to rewarding individual and team achievement through a total rewards package. This package includes (among other things) a competitive base salary, a generous paid time off policy, merit based annual increases, bonus opportunities and a robust recognition program. Other benefits include a competitive range of insurance plans (including health, dental, life, and short-term and long-term disability), access to a retirement savings program such as a 401(k) plan, paid parental leave for all parents, financial assistance with adoption expenses or infertility treatments, financial reimbursement for education and developmental opportunities, an employee assistance program, and numerous other offerings to support a healthy work-life balance.
Hiring Salary Range