Communications and Engagement Officer
We are looking for an experienced and talented communications specialist who is ready to take the next step in their career. This new Communications and Engagement Officer role is being introduced to complement our existing, small but talented communications team.
Reporting to the Communications Manager and working alongside our social media consultant, you will play a vital role in telling the story of SCI Foundation and our partners. The content that you develop will inspire our existing and potential supporters as well engaging the public in the UK and internationally, to understand the impact of our work on the lives and communities we help to serve. We are therefore keen for someone with strong editorial skills who preferably has an interest in NTDs and/or public health to join the team.
You will have a reasonable degree of autonomy within this role, so we are looking for someone who is comfortable with working independently and as part of a team.
Travel to some of the countries we partner with to gather content and document our work will give you the opportunity to meet our partners and understand the work we do. It will provide the opportunity to utilise or develop your photography and videography skills.
Our Communications team have exciting plans to expand our current reach to the public and the right candidate will have the opportunity to be involved in leading on some of this work. Therefore, if you have experience in traditional media relations that would be a bonus!
You will be responsible for telling the SCI Foundation story in a creative and engaging way. You will support the delivery and growth of proactive communications aimed at building the identity, reputation and profile of the SCI Foundation and our partners.
About the person
- You will have specialist knowledge and experience in crafting content and have excellent editorial and copywriting skills with a great attention to detail.
- You will have the ability to identify, develop and disseminate stories in ways that will engage a variety of audiences.
- You will have an in-depth understanding of all the activation channels available and the different opportunities they offer organisations like SCI Foundation to engage new audiences and grow our capacity and reach.
- Ideally, you will have experience in gathering and or commissioning original content, including photography and videography.
- Above all, you will have exceptional story telling skills and be able to simplify and communicate technical aspects innovatively to our various audiences.
Core Functions and Responsibilities
- To assist the Communications Manager to deliver SCI Foundation’s strategic communications plan.
- To work closely with the team and partners to collate, produce and disseminate inspiring content and communications outputs for key audiences.
- To write, edit and source new content as well as curate existing content – including blogs, audio, video, and images – ensuring its suitability for different channels, including media, our website and social media.
- To lead/feed ideas into the content calendar for our web and social media presence working collaboratively with colleagues across the organisation.
- To review and edit content from contributors giving specialist advice and guidance about preparing the material for our channels, ensuring content is accessible, on brand and audience focused.
- To use analytics and insights from various channels to help develop our audience understanding and increase our social media engagement.
- To assist in the development of our multi-media library, adding photo and video assets with appropriate metadata to improve users’ experience.
- To monitor media and trends in social media and other applications and make recommendations for continually improving our presence and our effectiveness.